La Dauphine Estate
La Dauphine Estate an old cocoa plantation dating back to the 18th century is situated in the hills four miles from the picturesque, colonial town of Soufriere, once the old French capital of St. Lucia. This 75-acre family plantation produces bananas, cocoa, coconuts, citrus fruits, flowers, nutmeg and a variety of flowers and vegetables. La Dauphine Great House and Chateau Laffitte, two estate houses located in the heart of this tropical plantation are nestled in a lush green hillside surrounded by luxuriant gardens, fragrant with exotic flowers.
Gabriel Laffitte, a member of the colonial government of St. Lucia, originally built the La Dauphine Great House with decorative gingerbread fretwork, jalousie windows and wooden shutters in 1890. The house has been refurbished to combine old colonial charm with all modern conveniences.
[ Click on photographs to enlarge ]
La Dauphine Great House:
- It has 4 bedrooms: Master bedroom has a four poster queen size bed (made with wood from the plantation), Second bedroom has two single beds, Third bedroom has one double bed & the Attic bedroom 4 single beds with a half bathroom (toilet & sink only). The Attic bedroom is accessed by a very steep staircase and is not suitable for small children.
- One full & two half bathrooms separate from bedrooms on ground floor. One outdoor shower located near the back of house.
- A large living room (with round handle wooden Morris chairs & sofa),
- A dining room (with a large dining table with 10 chairs)
- A fully equipped kitchen (fridge, stove, microwave, toaster oven, toaster, coffee maker, blender, all kitchen utensils, cutlery, china & glassware)
- A large wrap around verandah on three sides (views of the plantation and Piton in the distance)
- It has two bedrooms: Master bedroom has a queen size bed and Second bedroom has two single beds.
- One full bathroom separate from bedrooms.
- A large living room
- A dining room
- A fully equipped kitchen (fridge, stove, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, blender, all kitchen utensils, cutlery, china & glassware)
- A small porch (views of the plantation and Cocoa House)
Antonia Robinson, the Housekeeper for La Dauphine Great House and Chateau Laffitte will provide a full housekeeping and cooking services daily. We can provide breakfast only or breakfast and dinner prepared by Antonia, during a stay at La Dauphine Estate.
Charles Augustin, the Estate Manager can give a plantation tour, teaching how the various crops are grown and processed (including the cocoa production), give guidance for hiking along the nature trails (Nichola's Highroad) on the plantation and together with Antonia assist with sightseeing, activities and tours outside the plantation. These services are provided complimentary.